|Organisation||The Nigerian Stock Exchange|
|Experience||3 - 5 years|
|Minimum Qualification||University Degree B.SC or B.A|
|Application Closes||Friday, 18 January 2019|
Job Title: Economist
Department: Strategy Department
Report to: Head, Strategy Department
Grade: Executive Assistant – Officer
Estimated Date Of Resumption: Monday, February 18, 2019
- The Nigerian Stock Exchange services the largest economy in Africa, and is championing the development of Africa’s financial markets. The Exchange offers listing and trading services, licensing services, market data solutions, ancillary technology services, and more. It is an open, professional and vibrant exchange, connecting Nigeria, Africa and the world.
- The Economist role has the overall responsibility of assessing and improving the market for the trading and listing of securities.
- The Economist will gather, develop and synthesize data to facilitate the planning process and evaluate the efficacy and efficiency of current or projected initiatives/programs through regular forecasts.
- Working closely with subject matter experts within and outside The Exchange, the incumbent of the role will be required to provide the highest level of market intelligence and analysis on a myriad of business and economic issues.
- The incumbent will prepare and present research reports to internal and external audiences; manage and develop relationships with key market stakeholders (including regulatory economists, research/academic communities, policy/regulation executives, etc.); and exercise independent judgment in developing forecasts.
- The role will support the HOD and other Strategy functions by providing analytical validation for strategic initiatives and new ideas generated, and manage strategic projects within the Strategy office.
- The incumbent will use specialist tools and advanced methods in statistical analysis in covering different aspects of economic and social policy, ranging from interest rates, taxation and employment levels, health, transport and international development to assemble, sift and present information which is then used to advise business.
- This position offers a unique opportunity to play a hands-on role in ensuring the successful performance of The Nigerian Stock Exchange and the Nigerian capital market.
- It offers significant exposure to senior management, and positions the successful candidate for progression within the group or to a position within other divisions, depending on experience.
- As the lead Economist in The Exchange, the role reports to the Head, Strategy at the Corporate Headquarters. senior management, and positions the successful candidate for progression within the group or to a position within other divisions, depending on experience.
- As the lead Economist in The Exchange, the role reports to the Head, Strategy at the Corporate Headquarters.
- Analyze and evaluate (on a quantitative and qualitative basis) the outlook for the listing and trading business, as well as on international trends in market operations, investment and money flows
- Develop economic guidelines and standards and prepare points of view used in forecasting trends and formulating economic policy.
- Provide first-class market knowledge and analytical ability on a variety of business and economic issues Improve the decision-making process by producing high quality research reports on the current operations of the market Facilitate the planning process through regular forecasts on the outlook for the listing and trading business.
- Provide information on international trends in market operations, investment and money flows, and financial services regulation Present research reports to internal and external audiences including regulators, listed companies, the dealing member community and international investors.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders (internal and external) in legal and regulation, product management, and market operations and technology; as well as in the broader academic and research communities.
- Create, as well as use, various econometric modelling techniques to develop forecasts; understand and interpret data; Analyze data to test the effectiveness of current policies, products or services and advise on the suitability of alternative courses of action
- Write various technical and non-technical reports on economic trends and forecasts to inform the press and public; Deliver numerous oral and visual presentations which non-economist audiences must be able to understand thoroughly
- Research, analyze and interpret information about economic performance, tax, and political decisions according to both national and international factors
- Compile, and report data to explain economic phenomena and forecast market trends Formulate recommendations, policies, or plans to interpret the Capital Market at large
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Economics or related field, Statistics or Mathematics.
- Master’s or a Ph.D. degree is an added advantage
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishment/successfully completing projects in business or applied research
- Analytical Thinking
- Research and Analysis
- Strategic Research
- Attention to Detail
- Building Trust
- Effective Communication Skills (Written & Oral)
- Inter-Personal Relations